How do you design a warehouse layout?
Designing the layout of your warehouse is critical to ensure optimal utilization of space and the smooth flow of operations. The following are some key steps you should consider:
- Determine your storage needs. Generally speaking, around 22 to 27 percent of your warehouse space should be dedicated to storage.
- Design your aisles to be 12 to 13 feet wide to accommodate forklifts, pallet jacks, and other material handling equipment.
- Outline the workflow of your warehouse operations.
- Define your workstations. For example, determine the optimal location for material handling equipment and personnel.
- Create a 3D model to visualize the spatial design of your warehouse.